Monday, April 25, 2011

I used to be terrified of Pit Bulls

I used to be terrified of Pit Bulls. I had heard they are vicious, fighting dogs, who can lock their jaws. I had heard that they eat cats. I had heard they will attack, injure, or kill children. I had heard they will attack other dogs. I would avoid them at all costs. If I saw one at the dog park, I would leave. If I saw one coming toward me, being walked by its owner, I would cross the street.

They appeared to be 120-pound killing machines. It’s funny how something you are afraid of can actually look bigger than it really is. It brings me back to the day I was working as a gas station attendant and was held up at gun-point. I can’t recall what the robber looked like, or what he was wearing, but I can remember every single detail of the gun. The gun -- which appeared to be gigantic.

I’ll admit, I hadn’t actually met a Pit Bull. I had one friend who owned three of them. I would make her put them away when I came to visit. The media stories and rumors about Pit Bulls made me scared to death of these dogs. I believed what I had heard.

Then one day, I saw this picture of a little puppy who had been abandoned – dumped out on a deserted country road. She was a tiny little thing, with the most soulful eyes I’d ever seen. She needed a home. I contacted her rescuer and brought her home. I’d had many dogs, of different breeds, in the past, and had several dogs at the time. I love all my dogs, past and present. But THIS dog is different. I am IN LOVE with this dog.

From day one, she wants to snuggle and lay on me. She is extremely eager to please. Training her was a breeze. She was the star of her puppy training class. She loves all the other dogs in our house. She lets the cats swat at her tail, and rub their heads on her face. She adores my nieces. She is a wonderful example to every foster dog we’ve brought in the house in the past year. She comes to work with me, at the doggie day care and boarding facility I work at. She plays with dozens of other dogs there. This dog, as it turns out, is a Pit Bull. Her name is Aiden.

About two weeks after adopting Aiden, my first Pit Bull puppy, I got a call about a dog who needed help. I was told nothing about him except that he’s a Black Lab. I agreed to help and we got him home. Turns out, he was just a puppy, about a week younger than Aiden, and he is a Black Lab MIX. As he grew, we discovered he is a Black Lab/Pit Bull mix. He too, is an amazing dog, friendly and welcoming to other dogs, cats and children. He too, has been a wonderful example to all of our foster dogs. His name is Daegan.

When Aiden and Daegan were about nine months old, we rescued a very special little puppy. She was a tiny, eight week-old, Blue Heeler puppy. She had been abandoned in a box on a 105 degree day. She had serious neurological problems and was severely disabled. She was so anemic that she needed a blood transfusion or she would have died that day she was abandoned. Just as people can donate blood, so can dogs. That donation saved this puppy’s life. That blood donation, which saved Neela’s life, was made by a Pit Bull.

Neela, despite being so severely disabled, was a very happy, loving puppy. Her balance and coordination were so affected that walking, holding her head steady to eat and drink, and using the bathroom outside were all struggles for Neela. Yet, she was a determined little girl. She never gave up. She taught me so much about determination. Whenever I get discouraged or feel like something is impossible, I just think of little Neela and I press on. She was such an inspiration to me and everyone else she met. She survived for an additional four weeks after that blood transfusion. Although I dearly miss her, I am so thankful for the lessons she taught me.

She was sent to me for a purpose. Because of Neela, I got to meet that Pit Bull who saved her life. I also got to meet his other two Pit Bull brothers. So, all in all, my personal Pit Bull experiences had been with Aiden – best dog ever, Daegan – awesome dog too, and three more well-balanced, loving, life-saving Pit Bulls. I was beginning to learn that all those horror stories, rumors, and myths about Pit Bulls weren’t at all a good representation of these dogs. Neela was sent to me for a reason. Because of her, I am now dedicated to saving Pit Bulls.

Since Neela’s passing, almost one year ago, I have fostered over a dozen Pit Bulls. I’ve never had a bad experience with a Pit Bull. What I’ve experienced is that Pit Bulls are extremely loving, friendly, eager to please, adaptable dogs. Some of my foster dogs have come from abusive situations, or been used as "bait" dogs. Yet, to meet them, you'd never know the terrible things people have done to them. That is the spirit of a Pit Bull. They are amazing dogs. I actually go out of my way to meet other people’s Pit Bulls when I see them out in public now. Still, I’ve never had a bad experience with a Pit Bull. I’ve even gone to an abandoned house, which had a chain-link fence around the yard, with a Pit Bull in the yard. I actually hopped over the fence, in to HER yard, to check on her. She came right up to me, in HER territory, wagged her entire body, and then flipped over on her back for me to rub her belly. I, of course, obliged, and she proceeded to give me kisses on my face.

What I’ve learned, not from the media, not from rumors, and not from myths, but from my own experiences, is that Pit Bulls are awesome dogs! I actually love Pit Bulls now, and honestly, I don’t think I’ll ever own another breed of dog again. I still love all dogs, but Pit Bulls, they are just something extra special.

1 comment:

  1. I am slowly learning that too! I have always been afraid of big dogs. Not just pit bulls but Rottweilers(I was attacked by one of these), chows, even sweet golden retrievers left me nervous in my space. Because of their size I felt that I couldn't control the outcome if it got out of hand. I have met many sweet big dogs being a foster parent and even some wonderful pit bulls. Stereo-typing is wrong with people and with animals. Every animal is unique and created by God.

    ReplyDelete